The most important facts about “Holidays over Christmas”
- In theory, you can fly anywhere for your Christmas vacation. The destination depends entirely on your individual expectations of your Christmas vacation.
- On your Christmas vacation, you have the option of either taking a city break with visits to the Christmas markets or enjoying winter sports in the snow and a white Christmas.
- Cheap travel alternatives for a vacation over Christmas include countries away from the tourist crowds such as smaller towns in Montenegro, Slovenia, Romania, Turkey or countries in Eastern Europe such as Poland, the Czech Republic and Hungary.
- Warm and inexpensive places in South East Asia such as Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and Indonesia offer an escape from the low temperatures.
- With our 20 travel tips and tricks, you can enjoy a stress-free Christmas vacation before, during and after your flight.
Did you have a flight delay or cancellation? Check your rights now and increase your chances of compensation
Christmas vacation is just around the corner and you want to use the holidays to relax before the hustle and bustle at home and the arrival of Santa Claus on Christmas Eve? We’ll tell you where you can travel cheaply during the Christmas vacations, the best things to do on your Christmas trip and the countries where you can spend the cold days.
Where is the best place to go on vacation over Christmas?
The question “Where is a good place to go on vacation at Christmas?” depends entirely on your personal preferences and expectations of your Christmas vacation. Whether you are looking for winter fun in the snow at a ski resort, a contemplative atmosphere at a Christmas market or an escape to the south – there are numerous destinations that present themselves as attractive travel destinations, especially before or during the Christmas holidays. We are happy to answer your question “Where can you go on vacation at Christmas?”.
- Traditional Christmas markets in Germany: Germany’s Christmas markets are charming, traditional and an absolute must for everyone. The most beautiful Christmas markets are the Striezelmarkt in Dresden, the Nuremberg Christkindlesmarkt and the Christmas market in the old town, Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
- Skiing vacations in the Alps: If you enjoy sports in the snow, then the Alps are the ideal destination for your Christmas vacation. In the Alps, you can enjoy the wintry landscape and the relaxed atmosphere in the mountain huts of the cozy villages.
- Christmas in the south: You don’t have to travel too far to escape the winter and icy temperatures. The Canary Islands, the Portuguese archipelago of Madeira and even southern Italy offer mild temperatures on the beach and in the cities, even in winter.
- Romantic Christmas in Europe’s old towns: as soon as the streets are magnificently decorated and the shop windows are festively illuminated, every old town becomes even cozier and more romantic. You can experience the very special magic of a Christmas-decorated old town in Prague, Florence, Edinburgh, Bruges or Tallinn.
- Northern lights in the Nordic countries: If you want to experience the natural spectacle of the Northern Lights, you should travel to the northernmost regions of Norway, Sweden or Finland. Here in the north you will also find many accommodations with saunas.
Where can you go on a cheap vacation over Christmas?
As the prices of accommodation and flights to popular destinations become particularly expensive during the Christmas vacations, the question of where to go on a cheap vacation over Christmas is an obvious one.
1. Vacation away from the tourist crowds
Less well-known or less touristy places are a more affordable alternative for your Christmas vacation. How about the town of Kotor in Montenegro, for example, which lies on the Adriatic Sea and is surrounded by imposing mountains, or Piran in Slovenia, a town with medieval charm? Sibiu in Romania also impresses with its well-preserved medieval architecture, cobblestone streets and relaxed atmosphere, while Göreme in Turkey’s Cappadocia region attracts visitors with its bizarre rock formations, underground cities and rich history.
2. Low budget vacation destinations in Eastern Europe
In general, you should stick to Eastern Europe for a low-cost vacation during the Christmas period. In countries such as Poland, the Czech Republic or Hungary, you can find a hotel, usually even with breakfast, at affordable prices.
Are you having trouble with a cancellation or flight delay and don’t want to accept it without doing anything? You shouldn’t either. After all, you are entitled to compensation in many cases of delay or cancellation.
Flight delay compensation, flight cancellation compensation
Compensation for overbooking
Compensation for denied boarding
Order Flightright conveniently online:
We enforce your refund and compensation!
With us, you can check your claims free of charge in two minutes. You can receive up to 600 euros compensation per person (minus the success commission).
When did the airline inform you of the flight cancellation or delay?
On the day of the flight or less than 14 days before or more than 14 days before departure.
Are you also affected by a missed connecting flight? Check your flight now. Simple ✔ fast ✔ & without risk ✔
Where is it warm and cheap at Christmas?
Are you asking yourself “Where is it warm at Christmas?” – and cheap too. Then Southeast Asia is the perfect destination for you. Only the flight might be a little more expensive, but the low cost of living in Southeast Asia quickly makes up for this – you are sure to find a cheap hotel with island flair, inexpensive meals with fresh ingredients and can book good deals for excursions.
Countries such as Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and Indonesia provide good value for money and allow you to enjoy a variety of sights, extraordinary landscapes and unforgettable experiences on a limited budget while on vacation over Christmas.
Where is the best place to be at Christmas?
And where is the best place to be at Christmas? You can experience the most beautiful Christmas season in European cities such as Vienna, Strasbourg and Salzburg. These cities shine in a festive atmosphere with their magnificently decorated streets and traditional Christmas markets.
If you want to experience that little bit of extra Christmas magic, New York City is your destination. New York is probably the epitome of the best Christmas season. The famous Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, the spectacular window displays along Fifth Avenue and festive events such as the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade await you.
Where can you go on vacation in Germany over Christmas?
If you don’t want to travel far, Germany also offers beautiful destinations for a Christmas vacation. Cities such as Nuremberg, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Dresden and Trier attract visitors with traditional Christmas markets in their historic old towns. Major German cities such as Berlin and Hamburg are also transformed into winter destinations
If you don’t mind the low temperatures, it’s best to head to the Black Forest, the Bavarian Forest or the Alps for outdoor activities. Here you are likely to have a snowy Christmas holiday.
What can you do over Christmas in Germany?
The best thing to do during the holidays is to enjoy the Christmas markets in the romantic old towns. Stroll through Nuremberg’s Christmas market, discover the medieval equestrian market in Rothenburg ob der Tauber and treat yourself to a hot punch at Dresden’s Striezelmarkt or Trier’s Christmas market.
In Germany’s major cities, you have the opportunity to discover several Christmas markets at once and take a winter Christmas market tour. If you want to warm up in between, it’s worth visiting the museums and exhibitions in Berlin, Hamburg or Munich.
Winter sports fans can enjoy skiing, snowboarding and tobogganing in the Alps and return to the cozy mountain huts in the early evening to reward themselves with a hot chocolate and Kaiserschmarrn or a trip to the sauna. Travel to the Black Forest or Saxon Switzerland if you fancy a winter hike through the snow-covered landscapes.
Flying on vacation over Christmas – tips and tricks
Have you decided to go on a Christmas trip? Then you should take a relaxed approach to your Christmas vacation and fly to your vacation destination stress-free with our 20 tips and tricks over Christmas.
Vacations over Christmas – tips and tricks before your flight
- Plan early: Book your flight and accommodation in advance to benefit from the best prices and skip the initial stress.
- Check travel documents: Make sure your passport and other necessary documents are still valid.
- Create a packing list: Plan what you need in advance and create a checklist to make sure you don’t forget anything important.
- Check baggage weight: Pay attention to your airline’s baggage policy to avoid additional fees.
- Keep an eye on the weather: Find out about the weather at your destination and pack suitable clothing.
- Put together a first-aid kit: Pack a small first-aid kit with essential medicines, bandages, painkillers and other emergency items.
- Leave emergency contacts: Give friends or family members your whereabouts information and emergency contacts.
- Plan airport transfers: Book reliable transportation to the airport in advance.
Vacation over Christmas – tips and tricks during the flight
- Comfortable clothing: Wear loose clothing and comfortable shoes for a pleasant flight.
- Take drinking water with you: Fill up an empty water bottle after the security check to ensure you have enough to drink during the flight.
- Pack snacks: Light snacks help to satisfy your hunger during the flight.
- Prepare entertainment: Bring something to read or download music or movies to your smartphone, tablet or laptop beforehand.
- Consider time zones: Adjust to the time zone at your destination before the flight to minimize jet lag.
- Earplugs and sleep mask: Don’t forget to use earplugs and a sleep mask to sleep on the plane.
Vacations over Christmas – tips and tricks after the flight
- Adjust to the local time: Try to adjust quickly to the local time by really only going to bed when it is also evening in your destination.
- Arrange your hotel quickly: Clarify any uncertainties at check-in and get organized quickly.
- Get money locally: Exchange into the local currency well in advance to avoid any inconvenience.
- Plan relaxation time: Rest after the flight to arrive at your destination feeling refreshed.
- Explore the surroundings: Use the first few hours to explore the surroundings and acclimatize.
- Get in touch with relatives: Let your loved ones know that you have arrived safely and enjoy your vacation.
Conclusion on the topic of vacations over Christmas
You choose your ideal destination for your Christmas vacation depending on your preferences. From traditional Christmas markets to winter fun in the snow, you will find a wide range of options for a Christmas vacation in Germany – or you can travel to Eastern European countries at a reasonable price. For a snowy pre-Christmas period, you should head to the Nordic countries of Europe or the Alps, where many winter sports activities invite you to have fun in the snow.
If you want to escape the winter completely, you can head to more southerly European countries, such as the southern regions of Italy or the Canary Islands. Alternatively, fly to one of the popular travel destinations in South East Asia, including Thailand or Cambodia, and enjoy the low cost of living there.
No matter where you decide to go on your Christmas vacation, with our tips and tricks for a stress-free trip before, during and after the flight, you will be well prepared and travel relaxed on your vacation.
How can Flightright help you?
Are you stuck at the airport due to a flight delay? Your flight has been canceled or you have been removed from the passenger list (denied boarding)?
In each of the situations described, you as a passenger have a right to compensation.
According to the EU Passenger Rights Regulation, passengers are entitled to compensation in the event of a delay, cancellation, overbooking, or missed connection. You can claim up to 600 euros of compensation per person (minus commission fee). This compensation is independent of the ticket price. Flightright enforces your right for you. If necessary also in court.
As the market-leading consumer portal, Flightright fights for the enforcement of air passenger rights. We stand up for your rights in the event of a flight delay, cancellation or denied boarding and refer to the European Union’s Air Passenger Rights Regulation 261/2004. Flightright’s air passenger rights experts are also happy to help you with ticket refunds and refunds for canceled package tours.
As experts in the field of air passenger rights, we enforce your right to compensation against the airline!