Flight delay and flight cancellations with American Airlines: your right to refund and compensation
About American Airlines
American was founded more than 95 years ago and has a deep-rooted history leading the industry through innovation and firsts, including hiring the first Black U.S. commercial airline pilot, hiring the first female U.S. commercial airline pilot, launching the first loyalty program of any major carrier and becoming the first airline to introduce airport lounges.
At Flightright, we assist American Airlines passengers who have been subjected to a delay or flight cancellation to enforce their rights. Getting compensated is quick and simple. To get started, use our free online calculator to check your eligibility for American Airlines flight delay compensation. For flight cancellations due to economic reasons, we see good chances to have a compensation claim, especially if you were informed by American Airlines not more than 14 days before your flight.
What are my rights when delayed with American Airlines?
- According to EU law up to €600 Compensation
- Regardless of the ticket price
- Flights up to 6 years old
- When the flight was delayed at least 3 hours, cancelled or overbooked
What should I do when delayed with American Airlines?
- Confirm the reason for the delay with the airline.
- Collect proof: photos, receipts of expenses, vouchers, etc.
- Insist on your basic benefits and services at the airport.
- Check your eligibility for compensation with our free online calculator
More in-depth information regarding the EU-regulation and your passenger rights.
Under what conditions is your flight delay with American Airlines eligible for compensation?
The EU 261/2004 regulation specifies conditions for which a passenger becomes entitled to an American Airlines delay compensation. The conditions as outlined in the regulation are:
- That an American Airlines flight arrives at its final destination, more than 3 hours after the ETA.
- In case of flight cancellations, cancellations without prior notice of 14 days and above.
The EU 261/2004 regulation specifies sanctions for these infringements. However, these sanctions will not apply if the delay or cancellation is a result of extraordinary circumstances such as union strikes or bad weather.
Note: the amount of compensation is dependent on the distance of the flight – not on the amount you paid for your ticket. Additionally, the flight must either take off or land in the European Union. In the case where it is landing in the European Union, the airline must also have its headquarters in the EU.
An American Airlines passenger is entitled to compensation in the event of the following:
- Flight delay: If your American Airlines flight arrives at your destination more than 3 hours later than expected.
- Flight Cancellation: if you were not informed of the cancellation or informed less than 14 days before departure.
- Overbooking: If you had suffered a denied boarding due to overbooking of your flight.
- Missed connecting flight: If you missed a connecting flight due to a delay in one of the legs, and you arrived at your destination more than 3 hours later than expected.
Don’t take any excuses!
- Meal vouchers or accommodation (in the case of an overnight delay) do not suffice for compensation.
- All flight packages are covered by this regulation and only the person on the passenger manifest who has suffered the delay, irrespective of who paid for the ticket, will receive compensation for the disturbance.
- Your claims are valid up to 6 years in the past.
- Only extraordinary circumstances such as union strikes or bad weather relieve the airline of this responsibility.
Here is an overview of which compensation you’ll be entitled to, based on the circumstances of your delay:
- Short distance flight delays – Below 1500km – Passengers are due €250 compensation from American Airlines.
- Medium distance flight delays – Between 1500km and 3500km – Passengers are due €400 compensation from American Airlines.
- Long distance flight delays – Over 3500km – Passengers are due €600 compensation from American Airlines.
Delay, cancellation, overbooking or missed connection flight? You are entitled to:
|Short distance up to 1500 km
|Medium distance up to 3500 km
|Long distance from 3500 km
|e.g. London – Edinburgh
|e.g. London – Athens
|e.g. London – Tokyo
How to claim compensation from American Airlines
The first thing to do is confirm that you are eligible for American Airlines flight delay compensation. This is often not a simple process when done on your own: getting access to flight databases, comparing your situation with other similar cases, checking whether your case applies under European Regulation No. 261/2004, etc. are some of the tasks that need to be done carefully to determine if you are eligible for an American Airlines compensation. In fact, for an individual without the legal expertise or the required technology, this can prove quite complicated.
But we have made it all easy with Flightright. In simple steps, you can determine your eligibility for an American Airlines delay compensation. Simply enter your flight details into our free compensation calculator, establish that you’re entitled to a claim against American Airlines, and then leave the rest to us. It will only take a few minutes for us to verify the eligibility of your claim and initiate action to ensure that you get compensated. Our service is free, as we only get a percentage of what we can extract as a claim. By choosing us, you are opting to join the more than 11 million satisfied customers who have used our service. We are a dependable partner, and we have been successful at asserting air passenger rights for over 12 years.
American Airlines Additional services at the airport
If your American Airlines flight departure is delayed for more than normal, you immediately have the right to basic benefits and services. These rights vary depending on the distance of your flight. Below, you’ll find an overview of what you’re eligible for:
- Short distance: from 2 hours waiting time – free drinks, free food, and 2 telephone calls, emails, or faxes
- Medium distance: from 3 hours waiting time – free drinks, free food, and 2 telephone calls, emails, or faxes
- Long-haul: from 4 hours waiting time – free drinks, free food, and 2 telephone calls, emails, or faxes
Delays of more than 5 hours
In this instance, you can, regardless of the distance, withdraw from your flight. American Airlines is obliged to either reimburse you or offer you alternative transportation to your destination.
Departure delayed until the next day
You’re eligible for a stay in a hotel, including transport to and from the airport. Contact American Airlines customer service directly and ask that confirmation of your hotel room and transfers be provided in writing.
Useful advice & information about American Airlines
American Airlines’ main hub is located in Fort Worth Texas. It operates between 350 airports in 50 countries globally, making it the largest airline worldwide. The airline uses a fleet of roughly 1000 aircraft and employs over 120,000 people.
American Airlines has made a comeback in recent times to become one of the most punctual airlines flying out of and into Europe. The airline has made significant progress but there is still room for improvement particularly in the areas of flight delays.
Great Compensation Response
American Airlines is, in general, one of the better airlines to deal with when working a compensation claim. They reply to our requests for payment on time and once the claim has been accepted, they pay out in promptly.
Information about online check-in
In general, when flying with American Airlines you’ll have the option to check-in between 24 hours before your scheduled flight time, or 45 minutes before takeoff. It is worth confirming this in advance as different airports and countries may have a different check-in structure. Checking-in in advance online is highly recommended to avoid unnecessary delays to your journey. It would also be worth considering using their app to check-in and keep up to date with the latest news regarding your flight.
Your flight didn’t take off yet?
You can simply enter your flight details for your future flight and we will let you know whether you’re eligible for compensation. Enter your flight here:
Recent flight delays and cancellations with American Airlines
Click to view all recent flight delays and cancellation data for American Airlines. The table below gives you an inside view of how much information we have at our disposal.
Had flight problems with American Airlines?
Flightright takes care of your rights in the event of flight delays, cancellations, and overbooking and is committed to ensuring that you receive your compensation from the airline.
We will be happy to help you in case of flight problems with the airline for:
We have already been able to help with problems at the following airports, among others
We have already taken successful action against these and more airlines
Your flight did not go as planned?
In the event of flight delays, cancellations and overbooking, passengers may be entitled to compensation or ticket reimbursement. Flightright enforces your rights.