Delay at Miami International Airport? - Flightright

Trustpilot 4.8/5 based on 1,744 reviews

Miami International Airport - Ticket refund and compensation in case of flight delays and cancellations

Check your claim for compensation online now in just 2 minutes

Air passenger rights expert

Approved by Oskar de Felice

Air passenger rights expert

99% success rate in court
Since 2010 on the market
No financial risk

Delayed at Miami Airport?

About Miami International Airport

Connecting South Florida with destinations across the United States and around the world, Miami International Airport is an important gateway to Latin America. Miami International is home to airlines from around the world, moving people and cargo throughout the Americas, Europe and beyond. The airport has a significant impact on Miami’s economy, both as an economic driver and a major employer. Being one of the busiest airports in the United States, Miami International Airport struggles with delays but maintains fair statistics when compared to other airports in the country.

Miami International Airport serves communities and residents throughout Miami-Dade County and South Florida. The airport is operated by the Miami-Dade Aviation Department (MDAD). The IATA airport code for Miami International is MIA, which is also used when referring to the airport. The airport is one of the largest gateway to Latin America from the United States. According to MIA’s operator, the airport was ranked second in the United States in total internal passengers and 12th in total passengers.

Check your claim in 2 minutes

Miami International’s terminal building features one linear concourse, labeled concourse D or North. The terminal also features five pier-shaped concourses, which are lettered E to J. Concourses E, F and G are also known as the Central Terminal, while Concourses H and J are known collectively as the South Terminal. Miami International Airport is one of the largest airline hubs in the United States. It serves as a hub for American Airlines, as well as a focus city for airlines from Central and South America. The airport is served by over 80 scheduled and charter airlines from around the world. These airlines connect Miami and South Florida to 141 destinations via non-stop flights and more than 7 additional destinations with one stop en route. Airlines serving MIA include for example Air Berlin, Air FranceAmerican AirlinesBritish AirwaysUnited Airlines, and Virgin Atlantic.

The Airport’s History

Founded in 1928, Miami International Airport is situated close to downtown Miami on 3,230 acres of land. When it opened, the airport was known as Pan American Field and served as the base for Pan American Airways. The airport’s main terminal traces its roots to 1959, although a number of expansions have transformed the building over time. Miami International Airport is undergoing a $6.4 billion Capital Improvement Program to upgrade operations, including the terminal buildings, roadways, cargo facilities and the airfield. Terminals are being expanded to accommodate more aircraft and passengers.

Delays happen quite often – Compensation could be available

According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Bureau of Transportation Statistics, Miami International Airport ranks well among the top 29 major U.S. airports in terms of arrival and departure postponement and cancellation. Based on Flightright data, in 2023, Miami Airport recorded a total of 7,473 scheduled flights. Of these, 64 flights were cancelled, representing 0.86% of all scheduled flights. Added to this, 115 flights were delayed, representing 1.54% of the total. There were 179 incidents, representing 2.40% of all departing flights.

Passengers experiencing a delay while travelling to or from the European Union on an EU based airline may qualify for compensation paid by the airline. You can discover whether your flight qualifies for compensation with Flightright’s easy-to-use Compensation Calculator. With Flightright, affected passengers can have their claims for compensation dealt with quickly and hassle-free.

Delay, cancellation, overbooking or missed connection flight? You are entitled to:

Short distance up to 1500 kmMedium distance up to 3500 kmLong distance from 3500 km
e.g. London – Edinburghe.g. London – Athense.g. London – Tokyo
Check your claim in 2 minutes

Statistical Overview of Airlines at Miami in 2023

Miami experienced notable activity, with both cancellations and delays observed across multiple airlines. According to Flightright Data, in 2023, Miami Airport had a total of 7,473 scheduled flights. Out of these, 64 flights were cancelled, representing 0.86% of all scheduled flights. In addition, 115 flights were delayed, making up 1.54% of the total. There were 179 incidents, which constituted 2.40% of all departing flights.

The most active carrier was American Airlines, operating a total of 1,537 flights with 10 cancellations and 25 delays, reflecting a performance with a cancellation rate of 0.65% and a delay rate of 1.63%. Following close behind, Iberia managed 719 flights with 0 cancellations and 6 delays, indicating a cancellation rate of 0.00% and a delay rate of 0.83%. Virgin Atlantic operated 569 flights with 0 cancellations and 3 delays, showcasing a cancellation rate of 0.00% and a delay rate of 0.53%. British Airways managed 554 flights with 18 cancellations and 20 delays, reflecting a cancellation rate of 3.25% and a delay rate of 3.61%. Last in the top 5 is Air France, which operated 532 flights with 3 cancellations and 5 delays, resulting in a cancellation rate of 0.56% and a delay rate of 0.94%. Overall, the operational data from Miami in 2023 showcases a robust performance despite operational challenges.

Top 5 Airlines at Miami International Airport

Airline NameFlightsFlight CancelationsFlight Delays
American Airlines1,5371025
Virgin Atlantic56903
British Airways5541820
Air France53235

Recently cancelled or delayed flights at Miami International Airport

Here you’ll find delays and cancellations at Miami International Airport that could entitle you to financial compensation. Use our online calculator to check your entitlement to compensation and let Flightright do the rest of the work.


What rights do I have as a passenger if my flight is canceled due to a strike at Miami Airport?

If your flight is planned to depart from Miami and there is a strike at the airport, first check if your flight is affected by the cancellations due to the strike. According to the EU Passenger Rights Regulation, you are entitled to alternative transportation or a refund of the ticket price. In addition, you may be entitled to compensation if there are no extraordinary circumstances, and it is an internal airline strike. Contact your airline for further information regarding substitute transportation, rebooking, or ticket refund as well as on-site services such as meals and, if necessary, accommodation and transportation to the hotel.

Can I get compensation if my flight is delayed or canceled at Miami due to a strike?

A flight cancellation or significant delay of more than three hours due to a strike is often considered an extraordinary circumstance, provided the strike is not within the control of the airline or its personnel. There is no entitlement to compensation in case of extraordinary circumstances. However, passengers should be aware of their rights to basic care and catering services at Miami Airport. This includes meals, refreshments, and, if necessary, accommodation, depending on the duration of the delay and the flight distance. Also, important to know: If your flight is canceled because the airline staff is on strike, you are entitled to a refund of your ticket price, alternative transportation, on-site catering, and additional compensation.

We will be happy to help you in case of flight problems with the airline for:

We have already been able to help with problems at the following airports, among others

We have already taken successful action against these and more airlines

Your flight did not go as planned?

In the event of flight delays, cancellations and overbooking, passengers may be entitled to compensation or ticket reimbursement. Flightright enforces your rights.

Scroll to Top