British Airways flight delays and cancellations
British Airways is the largest airline in the UK based on the size of its 272 strong fleet of aircraft and it operates between a total of 183 airports. Compared to other airlines leaving the UK it is relatively reliable, nevertheless delays and cancellations do still occur.
For flight delays of more than 3 hours, or cancellations without prior notice of at least 14 days, and or denied boarding due to overbooking on a British Airways flight, Flightright can help you demand your passenger rights to a compensation of up to €600 under the EU regulation 261/2004.
Flightright has for over 8 years helped air travel passengers get recompense for delays caused by the airlines. We are able to passengers secure British Airways compensation for flight delays and cancellations. To get started, use our free online calculator to check your eligibility for a BA compensation.
What are my rights when a British Airways flight is delayed?
- Based on EU law you can claim up to €600 compensation
- Flights up to 6 years old
- Regardless of the ticket price
- When the flight was delayed longer than 3 hours, cancelled or overbooked
What should I do when delayed with British Airways?
- Why were you delayed? Get the airline to establish this
- Insist on your basic benefits and services at the airport
- Collect proof: receipts of expenses, vouchers, photos etc
- Exchange contact information with your fellow delayed passengers
Recent flight delays and cancellations with British Airways
Although British Airways have been relatively punctual and reliable with flight schedules, there have been many cases of flight delays and cancellation. Click to view all recent flight delay and cancellation data for British Airways. The table below gives you an inside view of how much information we have at our disposal.
More in depth information regarding the the eu-regulation and your passenger rights
Under what conditions is your flight delay with British Airways eligible for compensation?
For flight delays, cancellations and denied boarding due to overbooking, passengers on BA flights are entitled to a British Airways compensation for the inconvenience. Although there are situations that absolves the airline of any responsibilities, most air travel delays and cancellations are often the fault of the airlines.
It takes only a professional with access to the kind of data that we have at our disposal to fully decipher if the delay was as a product of the airline’s negligence or a problem beyond their control. To know if your flight delay constitutes one that should be compensated, use our free online compensation calculator.
British Airways passengers are entitled to compensation in the event of any of the following:
- Flight delay: If your British Airways flight arrived at your destination more than 3 hours after ETA.
- Flight Cancellation: if you were not informed of cancellation or informed less than 14 days before departure.
- Overbooking: If you had suffered a denied boarding due to overbooking of your flight.
- Missed connecting flight: If you missed a connecting flight due to a delay in one of the legs and you arrived at your destination more than 3 hours later than expected.
Don’t take any excuses!
- Meal vouchers or accommodation (in the case of an overnight delay) does not suffice for compensation.
- All flight packages are covered by this regulation and only the person on the passenger manifest and who have suffered the delay, irrespective of who paid for the ticket, will receive compensation for the disturbance.
- Your claims are valid up to 6 years retrospectively.
- Only extraordinary circumstances such as union strikes or bad weather relieve the airline of this responsibility.
Here is an overview of BA delay compensation you’ll be entitled to, based on the distance of your intended flight:
- Short distance flight delays – Below 1500km – Passengers are due €250 compensation from British Airways.
- Medium distance flight delays – Between 1500km and 3500km – Passengers are due €400 British Airways compensation.
- Long distance flight delays – Over 3500km – Passengers are due €600 British Airways compensation
How to claim compensation from British Airways
Knowing if you are eligible for compensation is easy when you use our free online compensation calculator. For the layman, knowing if you are eligible for compensation can often be an arduous task. Once that is covered and you are eligible for compensation, the task of asserting your right should be left to us. We are able to stand in your place, argue your case and get compensation on your behalf for any inconvenience suffered due to a BA delay.
Our knowledge of the industry and expertise is able to guarantee you fair compensation for your BA flight delay. We have served over 5 million customers and in all, we have had a successful dealing, extracting more compensation for our clients than any other claims agency. Flightright is the preferred service for air travel passenger seeking compensation for delays and cancellations suffered at the hands of airlines.
British Airways Additional services at the airport
If your British Airways flight is delayed for an unusual amount of time, you immediately have the right to some basic benefits and services. These rights vary depending on the distance of your flight. Below, you’ll find an overview of what you’re eligible to:
- Short distance: from 2 hours waiting time – free drinks, free food and 2 telephone calls, emails or faxes
- Medium distance: from 3 hours waiting time – free drinks, free food and 2 telephone calls, emails or faxes
- Long-haul: from 4 hours waiting time – free drinks, free food and 2 telephone calls, emails or faxes
For flight delays of more than 5 hours, you have the right to opt out of the flight at no cost to you. You are entitled to either a full reimbursement of the ticket amount or an offer of alternative transportation to your destination.Departure delayed until the next day
For overnight delays, you’re eligible for a stay in a hotel, including transport to and from the airport. You can contact British Airways customer service directly and ask that confirmation of your hotel room and transfers be provided in writing.
Your flight didn’t take off yet?
You can simply enter your flight details for your future flight and we will let you know whether you’re eligible for compensation. Enter your flight now:
- up to €600 compensation per person
- over 5.200.000 happy customers
- 99% success rate in court
Useful advice & information about British Airways
British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom and it operates out of its main hub stationed near London Heathrow airport from where it connects 183 airports across all continents. A part of the International Airlines Group, BA unarguably remains one of the biggest airlines in the world.
There’s room to improve their punctuality
Although certainly not the worst offender, British Airways could improve on their punctuality. They clocked a total of 845,000 minutes of delays in 2016, as well cancelling a slightly above the average number of flights when compared to their competitors.
Cooperative, but a little slow
British Airways sets a good example in paying out compensation when you enforce your rights with Flightright. They are, in general, cooperative and responsive, although they have a tendency to be a bit slower than average when it comes to actually issuing the compensation.
Information about online check-in Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
You can check-in online or with the British Airways app from 24 hours before the flight departure. It is strongly recommended that you make use of one of these options to avoid running the risk of waiting time to check-in at the airport.
Air Canada Air France American Airlines British Airways easyJet Lufthansa Malaysia Airlines Ryanair Turkish Airlines United Airlines US Airways Virgin Atlantic
Connect with us through Social Media
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter